Saturday, November 30, 2013

Symphony Series: Bald Eagle

I completely forgot to post this painting here.

I finished this Bald Eagle at the beginning of the Summer. :) It was a long time in production. I actually began working on the piece in 2012, but it just kept getting pushed to the back of the ol work-in-progress list. I also have a hen painting that is in the same boat. It was started at the same time as this eagle, and I am going to prioritize it and get it finished by the end of 2013 (here I come holiday break!).

Where I live in Alberta, we have Bald Eagles nesting along the Red Deer River. I see them soaring high in the sky when I go for walks. I wanted to have the same perspective for this painting. I love the contrast of the dark body, white head and tail, and then the bight (and huge) yellow beak and feet.

The reference photo I used was kindly provided by an excellent wildlife photographer from Calgary, Glenn Alexon.
http://www.glennalexon.com

"Bald Eagle Espressiva"
Acrylic on canvas.
60x36 inches.

No comments: